Saturday, November 3, 2007

Concentration Camp

The bus ride to Salzburg was a fairly typical one. As usual, my friend Megan and discussed all of the "drama" that we get wrapped up in.
"Why doesn't he get it? Is he blind?"
"He is so hard to read! What do you think he meant when he said that?"
"Are you worried about Jim and Pam getting together so soon? Because I am!"
"I just don't know if I should get her something from Vienna or Italy."
"Is McDreamy really going to leave Meredith?"
These are the kinds of problems that were occupying our thoughts on that bus ride, until we got to Mathausen. Mathausen is a labor camp is located about an hour outside of Salzburg. We heard stories about men who had been forced to leave their homes to come to the camp without any knowledge of what became of their families. We saw the gate they entered after being crammed into trains and trucks. Later, we walked through the gas chambers and execution rooms which was the most creepy thing I have ever done. I am not using creepy in the "The Sixth Sense is so creepy" way but in the sense that human beings killed other human beings by the roomful there. The last leg of the tour at Mathausen takes you to this gorgeous cliff that overlooks a little river. The cliff has a set of stairs cut out of it that has more steps than I have ever seen. This is where the prisoners were forced to carry the large boulders up to the camp and if they were too weak by the time they got to the top of the stairs they were unburdened from the rock and then thrown off the cliff into that sweet, little river. As Megan and I walked down the stairs, we talked about how stupid we are. My main thought as I walked through that camp was how lucky I am to have my big concerns be about tv shows and guys. This whole trip has taught me a lot about myself and that expereince was definitely one that helped.

2 comments:

Adrienne and Lance said...

I am glad you were able to have such a life changing experience. Nothing can ever replace being there where it happened. I have just one question though, You mean the Dr. McDreamy and Meredith Grey saga isn't a big deal? =) Yes I have been watching Grey's anatomy.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.