Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Season Finale Week: Glee-bles Wobble But They Don’t Fall Down


I must tell you that I had every intention of writing about the decline of Glee in my post-Tuesday post for this week. In my opinion, this season has been very lackluster and has spent too much time focusing on certain storylines. While I can respect the show for making a statement on bullying and gay rights, I don’t need this shoved down my throat week after week and I certainly don’t need it to be taking precedence over every other storyline. Am I alone in this?

Beginning of Spoilerly mentions

However, after last night’s episode, I was unable to sit down and write the Glee bashing I had intended. In last night’s episode we got some good relationship drama, some awesome vocal performances (I’m looking at you Mercedes and Rachel), and I cried more than thrice throughout the episode.

Let’s take a look at the board, shall we!

1) I cried when Sue, Frankenteen, and Porcelain were cleaning out Jean’s room
2) I bawled during Sue’s eulogy, the “Pure Imagination” number, and the accompanying video (I am counting this as one since it was just one long and good cry)
3) I cried when Sue pulled it in for a hug after she told Becky that she was going to be the Cheer captain
4) Finally, I got teary-eyed during Rachel’s song. I’m sorry, but girl had all sorts of emotional power behind that vocal. Also, I loved that she got all Barbara-faced.

While I am not ready to say I want to see a de-snarkified Sue Sylvester it was nice to see her relent for the kids who had arranged such a sweet and touching funeral service for her sister.

Also, being a Finchel and Wemma fan, I was grateful for their progress in this episode, even if neither ended on a particularly good note. Finn, don’t you know that when Rachel sings those treacley love ballads that it’s all for you? Will, she’s crying! Run after her! And just what do we think Quinn is going to get up to in New York, hmm?

I guess all this means that “Funeral” was a win for me and that I’ll have to keep watching Glee. Just when I think I am free, it pulls me back in. Curse you, television!

I have read mixed reviews online of the episode, so what did all of you think? Do you share my feelings about Glee this season, or have you been completely on board? Are we excited for New York next week?

3 comments:

julielloyd said...

I totally agree with you (surprised?). I have not been as into Glee this season as I was last season. I'm not a homophobe, but when there is not one good heterosexual relationship going on, and every other one is homosexual, it gets a bit tiresome and I can't help but feel that someone's personal agenda is taking over the show. I loved last night's episode and I especially liked the Imagination song at the funeral. I really liked Santana's song as well as Rachel and Mercedes. IT was like good ol' classic Glee again. Yeah!

Sidney Boman said...

A big amen to everything, your comments too Julie! I absolutely loved Pure Imagination- it was beautiful. Ellen, I also cried at all of those parts, but what's new. And where is Will going?? Did I miss something? Is he going to Broadway with April?

Katie C. said...

Funny that you should post this... I just moved to Oregon this week so I didn't see the episode yet (next internet stop), but I definitely posted about the decline of Glee on my blog a couple weeks ago. And yet, my Glee friend in Utah said the exact same thing about the last episode this season! Can't wait to see this mind changing episode :)