Friday, May 20, 2011

Season Finale Week: A Little Lesson in Grammar

In order to fully express my feelings about last night’s television, let’s first learn a little bit about grammar. For today’s lesson, we will be learning about interjections. Now, interjections show excitement or emotion and they’re generally set apart from a sentence by an exclamation point or by a comma when the feeling’s not as strong. However, there were no commas to be seen when I was watching the Bones and Parks and Recreation season finales. Interjections like Hurray! Hallelujah! Finally! Awww! And then ones like Noooo! Why?!?!?! Agh! (I know that not all of those are technically interjections, but just roll with it).

First let’s talk about the show that inspired all the happy elations from me: Bones. As much as I loved seeing Booth and Brennan go into their old undercover aliases of Buck and Wanda, as much as I teared up when Angela and Hodgins were waiting to see if their baby was blind, and as much as I was amused by all the humor in this episode, it really all boiled down to the last minute. SPOILER! BRENNAN IS PREGNANT! And with freaking Booth’s baby! This was the first Bones finale ever where I left completely satisfied and excited for next season. Why? Because even if it is not completely smooth sailing next season, they’re obviously going to try and make this work for the baby and because they are in deep smit with each other. I would also like to note, that my mother and I totally called that they had sex in the last episode and that the “Change in the Game” was going to be that she is pregnant. Pony up, all you naysayers!

Now, let’s move onto the show that had me whimpering and shouting expletives at the television, Parks and Recreation. Don’t get me wrong, this was still my favorite hour of TV this week, or should I say my favorite 55 minutes of TV because the it was the last five minutes that broke my heart.

First, I’ll talk about the good. (Obviously, not all the good, because there is simply too much to cover). It would seem that the Knope ladies have a thing for political savvy nerds who get adorably flustered in their presence. The look on Ben’s face after Marlene Knope made a pass at him was priceless, but then I also have a thing for political savvy nerds who get adorably flustered. Also, being a Ben and Leslie fan, I loved all their sneaking around and their politically charged make-out sessions. There was a lot of good stuff that wasn’t Ben and Leslie related (Ron’s singed mustache, Andy’s “5000 Candles in the Wind”, Ron trapped in the Swedish desk, Tom and Andy’s fourth floor adventures, Cube butt, Jean-Ralphio, and the promise of Tammy 1!), but in the interest of time, we’ll move on.

I always knew that public office was in our plucky heroine’s future, but I certainly don’t want it to come at the of this adorkable couple’s happiness! We just got them together! What I am hoping will happen is that Chris will act on his suddenly rekindled admiration of Ann Perkins and have to change the office-dating policy thus making it possible for Ben and Leslie to date scandal free. Problem solved! But nothing is ever that simple in TV Land, is it? All I can say is that the look of uncertainty on the faces of Ben Wyatt and Leslie Knope will haunt me all summer.

Ok, friends and family, I need you to talk me down from this. Tell me everything is going to be okay. Also, how did you feel about our Thursday night programming? Did anybody else watch The Office and get as bored as I did? Are you excited about a Booth and Bones baby? Did you also feel that the real mourning in “Li’l Sebastian” was not over the famed mini-horse, but over our two nerds’ upcoming rocky road to blissful happiness? Leave your comments below!

And here are my favorite quotes from last night's two part season finale:

‎Leslie: "The best part of any relationship is the beginning. No problems, no fights, just white wine, cuddling, and crazy amounts of... History Channel documentaries."

Andy: ‎"When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. I read that once on a can of lemonade, but I like to think that it applies to life."

Tom: ‎"I did recently sell my Chronicles of Riddick DVD on eBay for $10. Use the profits to buy the blu-ray."

Leslie: ‎"Absotootley I am! Very sorry that I just used that word."

Leslie: ‎"Somebody made somebody a mix and I definitely heard your feedback from last time so I only put five Sarah McClachlan on this one."

Leslie:‎"That's disgusting and wrong. I don't even get... Why would... I've never had sex with anyone anywhere. It's none of your... You have... Have the nerve, the audacity. Ben is my boss, technically. And he is terrible face-wise and how... How do I know, frankly, that you're not sleeping with him? Maybe you are. Maybe you're trying to throw me off. Hmm. Check and mate. This is an outrage! Who do I call?!"

1 comment:

julielloyd said...

I thought Ben and Leslie were adorbs, but I absotootly loved Bones and Booth's news. How fun will this be!??! So what do you think they should name their kid. It will probably be a girl since Booth already has a son and Angela and Hodgins just had a boy.