Friday, December 16, 2011

What's Your Flavor? Nathan Fillion Edition




I recently went on a Firefly binge and this one was a doozy. It was one of those situations where I re-watched the entire series and movie with my brother and then a few days later I was reflecting upon how good a particular episode is and then ended up watching the whole series and movie again. That happens, right? Just to me? Okay, moving on. In the midst of this relapse, I watched that week’s episode of Castle and a big part of me was thrown. Even though, I have seen all of Castle and watch it every week, I was so immersed in Captain Reynolds and the crew of Serenity that it was hard for me to separate the two characters.

This slide into fanaticism got me thinking of a blog post I had written a couple years ago about my preference of Edward Norton characters, and I thought Nathan Fillion deserved the same attention. For this match-up, I give you the best-selling author, restless bachelor, and devoted father with a streak of danger, Richard Castle; the broody rebel who is hiding his soft side, Captain Malcolm Reynolds; and our wildcard option for those of you who prefer brawn over brains, Captain Hammer.

I am going to rule out Captain Hammer right away. I just don’t know that I am willing to “do the weird stuff” with him, even if the "hammer" is his... never mind. This leaves me with Castle and Mal. The romantic in me wants to pick Mal. I would become a part of his crew and wear him down until he realized that I was the person he wanted to explore the ‘verse with and we would sail away on Serenity all the way to the outer limits, out of the Alliance’s watchful eye. Sigh. However, in reality, I know my choice would be Castle. He’s handsome, funny, debonair, family-oriented, and, let’s not forget or act like I’m above it, loaded. I would still get the satisfaction of making him a reformed bachelor without as much drama as I would get from Mal.

What is your choice, reader who is as familiar with these Nathan Fillion characters as I am?


Note: Also, in case the description of my decline into lunacy isn’t enough, I am going to use this post as an opportunity to stress the importance of watching Firefly. Even though it is a heartbreaking bandwagon to jump on, it is so worth it. I don’t know what it is about that show, but it creates fanatical fans. Exhibit A: Me. My heart breaks every time I watch the last episode or movie. Exhibit B: Troy and Abed from Community. They have a pact to make each other’s deaths look like a suicide over the unjust cancellation of the Joss Whedon vehicle. Yeah, it produces that kind of devotion. (The whole series and follow-up movie are available on Netflix Instant Streaming)

3 comments:

julielloyd said...

Since I know my Nathan Fillion characters better than most, I must chime in. I also find myself completely drawn to the Malcolm Reynolds character and think it would be "shiny" to hang out on serenity with all of them, I believe I would also have to go with the less broody Richard Castle. Of course the very best was when Castle dressed up as Malcolm Reynolds for Halloween. That was definitely the best if both worlds.

CarrieWeldon said...

I would also have to go with the inimitable Castle. He would be more comfortable to be around for everyday. Although a few nights a year in his Mal costume would spice things up.

Sam's Folks said...

Are there people out there who are this anamoured with all things Nathan Fillion who are not related to me?