Friday, December 17, 2010

Christmas Time is Here: The Best Holiday Episodes. EVER!


As further evidence of how much time I have on my hands, I give you the following scenario: In the past few days, I have gone through and watched all the holiday episodes of shows I have on DVD. Why would I do this? To rank them, of course! It was actually quite fun. Some of these, I haven’t watched in a long time and some are brand new additions to the Holiday Episode list. Keep in mind that I don’t own every show and I am very biased in my selection of the “best holiday episodes ever”, but I think you can enjoy my list regardless.

10. “Comparative Religion” Community: Season 1 – I have been on a bit of a Community kick since watching this episode because I proceeded to watch the rest of season 1 again. Personally, the hotness that is Joel McHale aside, I think this is one of the funniest shows on TV right now and I am glad to see that the critics and viewers are starting to come around (and for you AD fans out there, it has a real Bluthy vibe to it, so go watch it). This episode is the perfect blend of touching and high-larious. Shirley being tested by her multi-faith group is gold, the fight against Farmer Ted and the cast of Breakin' is epic, but the best is the group scorning Jeff for being agnostic. “To me religion is like Paul Rudd, I see the appeal and, I would never take it away from anyone, but I would also never stand in line for it.” Agree to disagree.
9. “Christmas Joy” Psych: Season 3 – This one almost gets a mention solely for the Charlie Brown dance after they save Santa, but I like the rest of the episode, too. Shawn trying to avoid the advances of Gus’ sister in front of Gus is very funny and I love Henry and Shawn’s guessing game.
8. “Christmas Special” 30 Rock: Season 3 – In my book, it doesn’t get much better than Liz Lemon ruining Christmas for some kids and Jack finding out that his mom took F.A.O. Schwartz as her gentlemen lover (“Uhh that word bums me out unless it's between the words meat and pizza”) to make Christmas for him as a kid.
7. “Afternoon Delight” Arrested Development: Season 2 – Ah, Christmas. The time of year when you have parties on Bethlehem time, sing about daytime lovin’ with your niece, and let kids get their grubby little hands all over a $3000 dollar suit. Come on!
6. “The Polarizing Express” Psych: Season 5 – I waited to post this until after this episode aired on Wednesday because I knew I would want to add it. It is exactly what you would want out of an It’s a Wonderful Life episode from Psych written and directed by James Roday: bizarre, hilarious, and Gus in a UPN sitcom in the 90s. This episode only further solidifies my love for Roday.
5. “Abed’s Uncontrollable Christmas” Community: Season 2 – This is another late entry, but I had to add this stop-motion, musical spectacular. Um, Abed finding out that the meaning of Christmas is the first season of Lost on DVD because Christmas can mean whatever we want it to mean? Brilliant, uproarious, and kind of sweet. Also, this episode gave me my new favorite Christmas mascot. Christmas Pterodactyl!
4. “Christmas Party” The Office: Season 2 – This one made me all sorts of nostalgic for the (now fulfilled) sexual tension of Jim and Pam. It also had some other great stuff, too. Michael’s impromptu Yankee Swap to get rid of the homemade oven mitt, Creed's equally impromptu Secret Santa gift, Angela’s babies-playing-saxes poster, and Meredith flashing Michael. “Happy birthday, Jesus. Sorry your party's so lame.”
3. “Bath Item Gift Hypothesis” The Big Bang Theory: Season 2 – Sheldon really struggles with what to reciprocate Penny’s Christmas gift with so he buys up every gift basket in Bath and Body Works with plans to pick the present that best fits her gift to him in terms of price. And while I enjoy this whole episode, I adore the last five minutes. When Sheldon receives Penny’s … you know what, just go watch this.
2. “Santa in the Slush” Bones: Season 3 – Ah, the good old days when the only person getting into the Bones-Booth mix was Caroline bribing them into kissing under the mistletoe. I love Caroline. While the whole first-kiss aspect really helped it get up to the number 2 spot I also just think this is a perfect Christmas episode. You have the gore and mystery with a dead Santa in a sewer, you have the funny with Booth having to sniff Santas, you have the whimsy with Santa’s apartment above a toy store, and you have the touching with Booth giving Brennan her Christmas tree. Le sigh. These two really need to work out their stuff, pronto!
1. “Santa Claus Conquers the Martians” Mystery Science Theater 3000: Season 3 – In answer to your question, yes, this movie is as ridiculous as it sounds. In fact, probably more so. But that is what makes Joel and the bots making fun of it so great. Then you couple their commentary with their performance of “A Patrick Swayze Christmas”, a seminal Christmas carol classic, and you get pure holiday magic.

Phew! That's a lot of linking for your viewing pleasure, there you have it! Do you have any shows you like with great Christmas episodes that I should check out? Do you disagree with my order? Not that I am going to change my mind, but I would love to at least pretend to listen to your feedback. Check out my favorite Christmas specials and stay tuned for my favorite holiday movies!

4 comments:

Katie C. said...

LOVEd the Charlie Brown dance! I laugh out loud all the time with Psych.

jillian said...

oh my! is there anything merrier than a patrick swayze christmas?? i think not.

btw, i am "forbidden" to watch that second bones clip. apparently it's pretty classified.

Hailey Busath said...

That Big Bang Theory episode is definitely one of my favs. Sheldon is so adorable at the end!

I also highly agree with the Psych episode; the Charlie Brown dance is a memorable moment for everyone. Not to mention James Roday looks totally hott

kimberly said...

okay how do Holly and I get copies of Santa vs. Martians? That's got to become a Christmas tradition. You forgot "A Christmas Story" come on Ra, Ra, Ra, Ra, Ra, Ra, Ra, Ra,