Friday, December 3, 2010

In Case I Haven't Already Tried to Convince You: Psych


(NOTE: I had written an even longer post and then realized I had one basically identical that I had written a couple years ago, so I edited this one down a little and tried to pick more recent quotes. I am including a link to the old post if you want to know more about the plot and such.)

Recently, my obsession for a certain pineapple-flavored bromance has re-ignited. Maybe it’s because a certain show with a certain new whorish character is infuriating me so I am having to shift my obsessive focus onto another show or maybe it’s because with USA’s crazy summer season/winter season schedule I had briefly forgotten how much I love it. But I digress. Psych is back, my friends and in a big, big way. First of all, if you don’t watch Psych, shame on you. In my opinion, it is one of the most underrated comedies on TV. Some say it is TOO goofy or TOO light or has TOO many pop culture references, but these are the reasons I love it.

After the winter season premiere and getting a little high-pitched squealy about of the developments that took place, I got on one of my Psych kicks and watched all five seasons again (including audio commentaries), because I have THAT kind of time on my hands and because that episode reminded me how much I love this show. I have been bombarding my mother with factoids I gleaned from special features and my friends with quotes via text messaging (but you truly know you are obsessesed when you quote their Comic Con panel). It is totes one of my most quoted TV shows, on a short list with 30 Rock and Arrested Development. That being said, I thought I would leave with some of my favorite quotes, but bear in mind that they are even better when you can hear James Roday’s delivery of them in your head. (This is a shortened version of a very long list).

JT Waring: Do you understand about honor, Mr. Spencer?
Shawn: Of course I do. I have a bootleg copy of Saving Private Ryan at home.

Lassiter: What do you two know about street racing anyway?
Shawn:Only what we learned from The Fast and The Furious. So... everything.

Gus: You've never read the Bible, have you?
Shawn: Sure. There's Genesis. Exorcist. Leviathan. Do... the right thing.

Major General Felts: I assume you realize this kind of idiocy will not be tolerated on my base!
Shawn:Is there another type of idiocy you would be more comfortable with?

Juliet O'Hara: Well, Lassiter's really got your goat, huh?
Shawn: Yeah, he does, and I want it back. God knows what he's doing to that poor thing.

Shawn: I don't lose things. I place things in locations which later elude me.

Gus: Do you think it could be PTSD?
Shawn: I think it's slightly more serious than a mere menstrual issue.

Have I sold you? (If you are actually interested, the first four seasons are on Netflix instant streaming, making it even easier for you to become as fanatical as me!)

5 comments:

Katie C. said...

Haha! Love it when he looses the phone and then finds it blinking on his Eliptical! I'm pretty sure every TV show I am now addicted to came from you.

Ellen said...

You are welcome for that.

Hailey Busath said...

"Gus don't be a piece of hair hanging off an old sponge."

Shawn: You want to know how we work?
Carleton: Absolutely
Shawn: Well first it starts with a Holla! ... and ends with a creamsicle.
Gus: And if there's time after? Thunder-cats!

CWeldon said...

I'm just glad that Juliet and Shawn are now a couple. Why can't the Bones people just let Booth and Bones get together too. Right now I'm watching The Graham Norton Show. If you've never seen it, you need to watch it on BBC. Graham's a hoot, but the funniest part of his show is his guest parings. When you are a guest, you have to sit on the couch for a whole hour with 2 other guests. It can make for an interesting conglomeration of personalities. Tonight it's Bette Midler, Stephen Frye, and some British boxer. It's really fun.

Ellen said...

Um, hello? I love Graham Norton! He is my going to sleep viewing. Have you seen the David Boreanaz and Sharon Osbourne episode? Delightful.